Thursday, 6 May 2010

Summary of "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas"

The book „The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas” written by John Boyne tells about the second world war and the Nazi regime.
In this story Bruno is nine years old and the son of an SS-officer.
One day his father is commanded from Berlin to Auschwitz and must assist the destruction of the Jews. Bruno feels bored at this bleak place and sees many people with striped pajamas on the other side of the fences who proceed immediately behind the garden of the house . He becomes friends with a boy named Schmuel. Schmuel lives behind the fence and they meetevery afternoon. No one of these guys nows what a concentration camp really is. One day Bruno's mother decides to return back to Berlin with her children.
But at the same time Schmuel tells Bruno that he can’t find his father. At Brunos last day in Auschwitz Schmuel gets Bruno a striped pyjama and Bruno creeps through a hole in the fence to search Schmuel's father.
But now he notices that it is something wrong with these prisoners. But then Schmuel and Bruno are sent into the awful gas chambers of the death camp by soldiers . At once Bruno want home, but owing to the Pyjama he can’t leave the camp and die.
Finally his father notices, that his own son probably died a horrible death in the camp.

8 comments:

  1. Summary OK! heaps of mistakes I had to correct!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a very nice book, i think i'll buy it, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd really like to read that book...pity that you already gave away what happens in the end of the story but it's okay :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie wrote exactly my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Touching story. What's your personal impression?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I would buy that book. And I want to watch the Movie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I look at the lots of summaries here, "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas" looks very interesting to me, because I'm very interested in the history of the World War 2 and I think Stories about people in the WW2 are very thrilling and of course emotional. Because of Stories like "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas" and other stories which played in the time of WW2, we can get an insight how it really was in that time.

    ReplyDelete