Hi folks,
we finally finished our little reading project on "Tomorrow when the war began" and I have to say I was quite astonished with the final results. I wish Mr Marsden could see what kids can come up with after having read his book. It's definitely wortwhile to combine traditional reading tasks and exercises with creativity and arts. Some of the paintings, photos and texts are amazing (see yourself and go to creative results in the navigation bar!) and really show the full potential of our students - far more than an old-fashioned class test would do.
I strongly recommend Marsden's book to the ESL classroom - the variety of topics (all pretty catchy for students), combined with the "exotic" setting (Australia) and the unforgettable suspension throughout the action sequences really made this book a great read for all of us. Although some students are the opinion it's way too unlikly and far too science fictional. Which is fair enough since they are more into non fictional stories.
I'd really like to get into touch with Mr Marsden about this and would love to have a comment from him. We're going to go to Australia in September this year so I'll try to get some of his super busy time.
Finally, I have to say a big THANK YOU to all our students. Keep on reading!!
Cheesr
Mr S.
No comments:
Post a Comment